Purpose:

The purpose of this blog is to keep track of my illness and progress. If someone else can benefit in any way from my rambling, even better.

Thursday, May 10, 2012

Being Vigilant

If you read my previous two posts, you know that I started taking a new iron pill that blocked my guai from working and it took me 41 days to figure out this was the connection. The reason why no red flags went up when my pharmacist told me it was an iron pill loaded with vitamins, was because the first time I read Dr. St. Amand's book I didn't make a mental note of what to look for in vitamins-because I wasn't taking any. I mentally skipped over the sentences that did not apply to me, not realizing that they could apply to me at some point in the future.

It has taken me a few weeks to get the vitamins out of my system and reverse back to the point where I was before this mistake, in effect pausing my treatment for two full months. As you can imagine on the good days it has been disappointing and on the bad days it has been downright depressing, the depression came in like a wave this time and I think was harder to handle because it was such a drastic change so quickly.

I have no re-read the chapter on how to avoid salicylates and I plan to re-read it every month or two in an effort to prevent something like this from happening again. I couldn't believe how many things I had just passed over the first time around. Also, it's a lot of information on which ingredients to avoid and I will likely need to read it a good dozen times before I can remember them all.

Lesson learned: be vigilant about checking ingredients and thinking through any changes. Getting comfortable and lax about what goes in/on my body is not worth the pain in the short term or the setback in the long term.

No comments:

Post a Comment